Garden Maintenance & Landscape Services in St. Albans, Hertfordshire, London - North & Central from Appleby Landscapes & Gardens Ltd.
Axioms, Aphorisms and Musings
- Try to work with the seasons, not against them. Plan ahead. It is not unusual to begin clearing during the Autumn for sowing 6 months later in Spring.
- Prepare the ground well before planting or sowing. Dig it over, remove weeds, bricks and large stones, break it down to a fine tilth and add compost. Take your time doing this and only dig during a dry spell of weather.
- A short lawn is less beneficial for wildlife and the more water is required during hot and dry summers. Try to leave an area of lawn unmown to encourage butterflies and provide wildlife corridors.
- When weeds start growing it is time for sowing. Sow seeds only when the soil is warm enough.
- Moss and weeds thrive in poorer soils, this is often caused by tree roots growing under the lawn. Feed a lawn more heavily where tree roots are present to discourage moss.
- The best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago. The second best time is now!
A society grows great when old men plant trees, whose shade they know they will never sit in.
- A plant is not planted properly until it has been watered in.
- As a rule of thumb, growth follows the knife. This could be an advantage for example, coppicing hazels in winter produces young rigorous straight stems for making hurdles. Or it could be a disadvantage, heavily pruning old fruit trees produces lots of water shoots.
- Thomas Jefferson said "Though an old man, I am but a young gardener". Gardening adds years to your life and life to your years.
- Place a bench in a sunny part of the garden, and use it!